Saturday, August 13, 2005

11 AUGUST 2005: BUTCH VIG

About 12:30, Jonesy was talking about how the heat and smog were making him lethargic and how he wanted comfort food like pasta. He is taking his wheatgrass and ginger, though.

A record producer for Nirvana and a member of the band Garbage is the guest. Butch Vig, was his name. Interesting person. If you are a musician that records or you are a big Nirvana fan you really missed a great interview.

12:45
Neil Young, CINNAMON GIRL
Tom Petty, HERE COMES MY GIRL
Red Walls, THANK YOU

He gave away free buttons of “solid tin.” He whistled Clapton’s YOU LOOK WONDERFUL TONIGHT

(I think Jonesy stole today’s playlist from Jim Ladd! “Lord Have Mercy!” I wish Indie would give Ladd some air time! He always talked about politics and drugs and stuff that no one was talking about. He knew all those old seventies rockers and had so many interesting stories. And he had that true deep sexy DJ voice.)

A note here—I live in the Valley, and the show comes in better on my cheap radio than on my stereo system with its expensive antenna.

1:15 PM

A cover of LUST FOR LIFE that he got from Butch, a bluegrass cover that someone said is on TK’s rotation now
An Elvis impersonator singing Nirvana’s COME AS YOU ARE
Fleetwood Mac, ALBATROSS

They were talking about how much Kurt Cobain loved the Sex Pistols and considered them the definitive punk rock group. Jonesy said that KC even named Nevermind because of Never Mind the Bullocks.

DANCE TO THE RADIO, another song that Butch had brought, I missed the artist

Then they sang VIRGINIA PLAIN and it was AWESOME!!!!!!! I wish I had a recording of it!!!! They both whistled and they knew all the lyrics!!!!!


In the UK, all the kids Jonesy’s age love Elvis, and over here, everyone of that age loves The Beatles. That’s what it seems like to me. I guess it’s just the youthful desire to get away from your culture or something?
I always think of punk rock as belonging to four groups who each have a distinct “punk” culture: The Clash (my favourites), The Pistols, The Damned, and The Ramones. The main argument is always for Clash vs. Pistols, but The Damned were really the roots of the –what would eventually be called—Goths. The Ramones really belonged to the American middle class and the punk culture that came up here. The Clash vs. Pistols argument usually comes down to whether it was cultural/behavioural anarchy or political anarchy. That’s my opinion, and loads of people disagree with it. When I was younger and had higher aspirations for myself, I used to think that one day I would write my doctoral thesis on this four band theory. Who knows, maybe I still might do that?

No comments: