Tuesday, August 23, 2005

23 AUGUST 2005: MARTIN FRY

Jonesy ate too much. He had four eggs, bacon, and two orders of potatoes. Now he's bloated. Why does he do that? he asks. He doesn't know.

The My Space dot com guy sold it for 600 million! Jonesy was blown away! He said everyone will be hitting the bloke up for money now and he wouldn't be able to say he doesn't have any. (The way Jonesy thinks cracks me up sometimes...) Jonesy said if he had all that money he'd buy a yacht and travel around to anyplace that was hot and always have tons of bubble butt birds on the boat with him.

(I'm glad he doesn't have 600 million if that means no more JJB!!! )

Oliver Future is playing tonight at the Viper Room, but they are probably already on by the time I actually post this. Jonesy said someone better get down there and sign them now. (I agree!!! )

Oliver Future, PILLS VERSUS FRIENDS
---missed quite a bit---

Jonesy was making a joke about working out on his Bowflex... hehehe...

PIL, RISE
Iggy, BESIDE YOU (co-written by Jonesy)
John Cale, A CHILD'S CHRISTMAS IN WALES

He whistled Bowie's SOUND + VISION
Gave away 4 pairs of tix to see Mike Peters of Alarm

Bowie, SOUND + VISION
Dandy Warhols, BOHEMIAN LIKE YOU
???
LITTLE THINGS
Ken Dodd, TEARS

Martin Fry was there and said it was an honour, he said, to be on Jonesy's Juke Box. He said that his song, TEARS ARE NOT ENOUGH was inspired by Dodd. American's don't really know who Dodd is, was the consensus between Fry and Jonesy.

(Today's interview often had this surreal "two English blokes talking in a pub on a congenial Saturday afternoon after a football game between any two teams other than Manchester and Chelsea" aspect to it...it really made me want a feckin' pint of Guinness!!!!)

I missed a chunk here, and I understand that it was this part that Fry was talking about his early influences? Hopefully I will catch the re-broadcast...

Jonesy says he will sell his show! (NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! )

Jonesy said he'd purchased the Jonesy jukebox dot com for future projects. He suggested that Martin buy martin fry dot com.

I missed some and then they were talking about football... Sorry fellas, find a male blog if you want the sport details... Fry said he is a Manchester United fan...

Martin lives up North London where Jonesy used to live. His manager has an office near the Shepard's Bush station that just had the attempted bombing, but that his manager has stayed in that location. He said that his kids ride the tube to school and that right after the explosions vibes were really weird in London, and it was super tense. But now it's people just trying to get back to business, and that people are really emphasizing getting back to business.

There was a joke about Cookie owning a pie shop (meat pies) but I missed it. I think it was one of those things where if you haven't lived there and eaten there, it didn't make sense.

Now here's where I had another one of my fabulous marketing ideas: Somebody needs to record these jam sessions and release them on a collected CD!!!!!!!!!!! ...The CD should be called "STEVE JONES AND... Live on Jonesy's Juke Box."...(Yeah, no need to thank me, Indie, just send me the cash...hehe)

Then they were trying to decide what song to cover together and they did a GREAT GREAT version of HOW TO BE A MILLIONAIRE. Jonesy said "how to be a my space millionaire".

Martin Fry was laughing and joking, like "Hey, that was great, it was like we were professional musicians!" (I love him! "Shoot that poison arrow through my hea-------art!")

Fry said he was a Bryan Ferry fan and you can tell. Not just the suits but also the crooning. They talked about how brilliant Spedding had been when he'd been on the JJB last week. And how Spedding was touring with Roxy Music.

Bryan Ferry, IN CROWD (Fry said this was a Dobie Gray cover)
Slick, I DEDICATE TO YOU

They talked about Midge Ure and his many bands and tried to name them: Slick, Ultravox, Rich Kids with Glenn Matlock, and Vienna, which had Jonesy and Fry hamming it up and singing "Vienna."

Midge is the second in command at Live Aid now next to Geldof. Jonesy asked if Fry thought Geldof was lining his pockets. Fry didn't know and he didn't think so. Jonesy said he probably was. (I hope Geldof's not doing that! That would be substantially bad karma! Plus, I don't think the world can take anymore hits to it's heroes right now. What a horrible swindle that would turn out to be!)

Something about Martin Fry's Turkish Delight. And that he needs to buy the "fry up dot com" name as well. "Our future is in food," says Fry.

Fry had written a tribute song to Smokey Robinson called WHEN SMOKEY SINGS that he was able to give to Smokey personally one time when they performed together in ??? Fry said he was a huge Motown fan.

Then he said something I thought was just brilliant, about writing the song and then meeting Robinson. "Writing a song is a premonition," he stated. I thought that was beautiful.

Attention beautiful bubble butt birds: Jonesy is going to be at the ABC gig at "House of everything but" Blues on Sunset, this Sunday night. He may even be wearing a gold lame tux! (That's pronounced "lah-may" you snickering youngsters, there isn't a little accent on the blogspot editor!)

I missed some...The Duke...talking about Martin having seen the Pistols in Manchester back in 1977 or something...

They did DID YOU NO WRONG. ( I would totally buy a CD of these songs on JJB! It's definitely a 600 million idea)... Anyhow, it was awesome and they went into LOOK OF LOVE and back and it really rocked!

During the re-broadcast I somehow, once again, managed to miss the same spots!!! But I did get a chance to write down some stuff I hadn't been able to earlier.

Two quotes from Fry:

The British won't convert to the Euro because [Britain] "is an island, on it's own, like a little ship out there in the ocean."

On meeting a pro-football team: "All the guys in sport want to be in music."

It was a great show!! I can't stop humming ABC songs! (I always  thought BE NEAR ME was like a very tame Bryan Ferry song. Very AVALON.)

GOD SAVE JONESY'S JUKEBOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"When your world is full of strange arrangements/ And gravity won't pull you through/ You know you're missing out on something/ Well that something depends on you/ All I'm saying/ It takes a lot to love you/ All I'm doing/ You know it's true/ All I mean now/ There's one thing, yes one thing, that turns this gray sky to blue / That's the look, that's the look/ The look of love..."

No comments: