Monday, August 22, 2005

22 AUGUST 2005

Today I didn't tune until 12:25 but luckily I caught it again at the re-broadcast.

The theme song is still in! (YEA!)
Mr. Shovel is back, thank the Indie Gods! He was in Lake Tahoe. He likes lakes and he wanted to get away.

CHELSEA SONG (football, I'm sure)
David Bowie, HEROES
Rolling Stones, STUPID GIRL
Marc Bolan, LADY

Jonesy said that he learned a lot about music from living in "other" homes. (He didn't say foster homes, but I don't know if that is what they would have been called in Britain.) He remembers this Bolan song being played on someone's record player when he was about eight or nine.

He says he's been watching the History channel alot. He wanted to know if a bald guy had every been President. (Looming fifty again? It's next Saturday-- don't forget to wish him Happy Birthday!!!) Shovel said yes and named a few. Then Jonesy said he didn't think that a woman could be President here because America is so-- gung ho, I think he said. Not until 2024!

Then Jonesy said Margaret Thatcher wasn't good for England.... But at least she had all of her hair, and a lot of Aquanet, cuz her hair was always a poufy helmet.

I was hoping he was going to play The Beat's STAND DOWN MARGARET, but he played

Flaming Groovies, TALLAHASSEE LASSIE (dedicated to ole Maggie and her Hair)
Sha Na Na, SEA CRUISE (Over here you always hear Frankie Ford's version of this. I think Sha Na Na was more popular in England. I remember my sister and I used to watch the specials and laugh at Bowzer, or whatever his name is... )
Eno, HERE COME THE WARM JETS
Kinks, LOLA

He gave away three pairs of tickets to ABC ("the look of love---")

He whistled Thin Lizzy's COWBOY SONG
The hint was: the singer is dead, he had an afro

The Duke: Growing up Gotti ads, State Farm

Sang his version of COWBOY SONG, and played the original ("roll me over and set me free/ a cowboy's life is the life for me").

Raspberries, ON THE ROCKER ( from a new compilation highly recommended by Jonesy)
Status Quo, AGAIN & AGAIN
Lou Reed, BUSLOADS OF FAITH (?)
Sharks, DRIVING SIDEWAYS (This is from a collection that is so hard to get that even Chris Spedding wanted a copy. Jonesy said you can't get it, and his record detective Janice can't even find another one.)

Then Jonesy and Shovel were lamenting Shovel's week without JJB, and Jonesy was saying that he thinks it will be a few years before he gets syndicated. (I HOPE SO!!! I haven't figured out how I am going to hear the show when I go back to the Mid-West. I think I will have to get this computer all fixed up. )

The Duke was Wendy's Hamburgers.

Chris Spedding, BOOGIE CITY (Great song!)
Mick Ronson, ONLY AFTER DARK
The Damned, HELOISE
Stooges, NIGHT IN 1969 (Jonesy played the version from the new compilation MILLION IN PRIZES)

Jonesy wondered if anyone had purchased a Bowflex? He was saying he bought a Soloflex when it first came out and it was soooo lame. He said only the dust gets a workout on it, except for once when he had sex on it with two birds . He said that was cool. He said it is so hideous and not like free weights which are fun and actually work you out. "It's a Swindle!" He declared. "That's my two cents!" He assumes an offer to be the Soloflex spokesperson will NOT be forthcoming.

The Duke: Jetta, Sprint

He is such a goofball. He sang a little song about Bowflex. Something along the lines of smashing heads in, from getting big muscles on his Bowflex, like the bloke in the infomercial: "He's on steriods/ He has a little knob/ and little testicles/ he's enhanced." Apparently, both the male and the female in the infomercial are under suspicion for using steriods. The girls has a nice butt, but there were no redeeming features to the bloke.

He ended his show with a Klaus Nomi song. "Klaus Nomi, a Bowflex User."

(OH MY GOD! I HAVEN'T THOUGHT ABOUT NOMI IN YEARS! I suspect Nomi of being a big influence on Maclaren's Opera record, which I have on vinyl somewhere... And maybe Nomi was also the inspiration for the song in FIFTH ELEMENT? A movie I like less everytime I see it, but that I enjoyed when it first came out. And I always loved Nomi. He was a beautiful freak. I wish there were more beautiful freaks in the world today, doing things no one thinks you can do!)

As usual, Jonesy ruled!

GOD SAVE JONESY'S JUKEBOX!!!!!

No comments: